Laser eye treatment
Laser eye treatment
The procedure for laser eye treatment or lens surgery
Around the world, 36 million people have been treated using the Lasik procedure since 1990. Here, you can find out the exact procedure for laser eye treatment or lens surgery.
Free initial consultation
You receive a free initial consultation with no obligation. During a face-to-face discussion (approx. 45 minutes) here at the Augenzentrum Kiener, we will explain which conditions you meet and which method is suited to you. You can even drive home again.
VPrior to the laser treatment itself, we conduct a thorough screening that takes around an hour. Using the latest computer technology, the ophthalmologist measures your eyesight, pupil size and thickness of the cornea. The data collected forms the basis for the intervention. You should be accompanied to the eye clinic because your pupils will be enlarged with eye drops, meaning you will be particularly sensitive to light and glare that day. We recommend that you bring sunglasses with you and refrain from driving under any circumstances.
Important for you
Prior to the examination, you should avoid wearing contact lenses (for at least two weeks for soft contact lenses and for at least three weeks for rigid contact lenses). The reason for this is that contact lenses interfere with measurement results. We also request that you do not wear make-up on the day of the operation.
Recovery and follow-up care
You return home immediately after the operation. A day later, you will be able to see almost normally again without a visual aid. After four weeks at the latest, you will see the world with fresh eyes – this moment is in sight.
During the first week, you support your eyes with nourishing antibiotic eye drops and a transparent dressing designed to protect you from unconscious rubbing during the night. Ensure that water does not get into your eyes.
We will be by your side during the recovery process with at least four follow-up appointments. These will be set together with you. During the last appointment, we will check whether the specified goal has been achieved. You will thus be able to see as you wanted to prior to the intervention – without glasses and without contact lenses. The final examination takes place after three months at the latest.
Our experience shows that patients have improved visual acuity in just a few days. This stabilises within a month – and you will see the world completely differently.
- Your head must slowly get used to your vision. It is possible that you will feel like you are seeing less well on certain days. This is normal and may last for a little while. Everything needs time.
- In rare cases, the visual impairment is not fully corrected and follow-up treatment is required.
- Many people over the age of 40 who choose the Lasik procedure also require reading glasses after the treatment. The reason for this is age-related visual deterioration.
- In only a handful of cases, there may be a slight degeneration of the visual impairment following treatment.
- For short-sightedness (above –5 dioptres) and long-sightedness, there may be rare instances of glare and halos (perceiving rings of light) at night. The operation may cause problems for patients with dry eyes. This can be prevented with tear substitutes.
- Lastly: trust us. We only conduct the intervention if the doctor believes that this will lead to the best outcome and after everything has been explained and checked in detail.
"I prefer to reach straight for my coffee in the morning - instead for my glasses."